Thursday 20 December 2012

Sabharish_Self_Leadership_Decision_Making


Right from my childhood I had a problem on making decisions. Because of that issue I made many mistakes even in choosing a certain career path many times earlier. Making a decision is like a biggest turmoil for me and it is something I almost loath and end up making . I faced certain situations in my life where I had missed some life turning opportunities which is only because of my problem of decision making. I always had a thought of improving my skills of decision making and never new how to developit.The latest session by Anil Sir was a blessing in disguise for me. As soon as I got the mail that the class is about decision making, I knew that something great is in store for me. Decision making was made easier by defining a model, which when followed leaves no scope for any doubt, confusion or uncertainty.
 The first step of the model starts by defining the frame. This phase begins by asking the most critical questions, by understanding the underlying issues we want to address through our decisions. It becomes imperative to ask the right questions, as it is through the questions that one asks, the relevant choices to be made are discovered.
 The second phase begins by collecting the meaningful and reliable information which will help us in making our decision effectively.
The third phase is characterized by defining several creative and doable options and alternatives.
 The fourth phase involves logically analyzing the pros and cons of each alternative, understanding the risks and returns involved against each option and develop a better perceptive on each criterion.  After the analysis has lead to a clearer view on the option to be incorporated, tradeoffs are defined by aligning our visions and values to the choices we wish to make. As every plan is incomplete without implementation, so is the decision incomplete until it’s actually taken. So the last step is set out to go ahead and take the plunge.
Apart from decision making skills, the session also focused on enhancing an individual’s creativity. I have heard about  numerous activities on enhancing one’s creativity but there was something that I learnt in this session that I had never heard before, and that is about the five F’s that prevents an individual from being creative VIZ, Fear of Failure, Criticism, Ambiguity, Lack of time and resources and finally the fear of loss of image.
There were other exercises focusing on introspecting the high points and low points of one’s life, defining one’s mission statement, all of which were highly engaging and thought provoking. But what stood out for me in this session is the big leap that I have taken personally towards becoming a better decision maker and hence forth a better manager and definitely a much better human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment