Friday 21 September 2012

Chetan Sharma_BLP050_SelfLeadership_Sep2012


Attending self-leadership class is a highly enriching experience and it makes me think about myself. We usually are occupied with our work and do not spend much time in introspecting about ourselves. I try to relate everything that is taught to myself in order to know more about myself. Life presents us with a lot of challenges and we need to be know ourselves well in order to live happily.
I got to know about my goals and aspirations that are most important for me and made me to focus my efforts towards them. I learnt that Emotional Intelligence can be acquired and it is developed by the way one is brought up. Listening to others as if life depends on it will result in enhancing our Emotional Intelligence. Understanding the emotions of others helps us in taking fair decisions. We must learn to put ourselves even in our opponent’s shoes and try to understand the emotional dimension also. I understood the difference between Sympathy and Empathy through a very good demonstration shown in class. We must free our minds from biases that we already have towards our own viewpoint in order to understand others. It does not mean that we should suppress our own viewpoint, we need to enhance our listening skills and our emotional intelligence. Leaders have the ability to make every interaction fruitful through the use of paraphrasing. After listening to someone, we should paraphrase the gist of what was said in a short and concise manner. This gives a positive impression to the speaker and makes the interaction fruitful. Also, EQ is derived through building trust, respecting others and accepting the uniqueness of the other person. Leaders share authenticity and lack of guile.
I got to know about my strengths and tried to enhance my listening skills through the Appreciative Enquiry exercise. I tried to figure out the situations in which I do my best work and also those in which I do not live my potential. This class inspired me to understand the purpose of my life, my strengths and weaknesses and will help me in becoming a good self-leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment