Saturday 22 September 2012

Sandeep Balaji_BLP026_Self Leadership_September 2012


First term ended in Soil ended on a sorrow note and dark clouds of hopelessness had spread its wings in hearts of Soilites. Two of my brothers from Soil family had left us with deep wound in our hearts as they passed away in the recent past. It was an awful feeling to see the two empty seats in our class, so we were hesitant even to enter the classroom. Anil sir’s class was an appropriate and fitting beginning to our second term.
Anil sir asked us to express our grief in writing, some of the students wrote without a hint of dither. For me it was very difficult to explain my feelings and thoughts towards the unfair means that fate opted to surreptitiously steal my friends from me and my classmates. After a few brief moments of awkwardness, I was able to overcome the initial hesitation that impeded me from penning down my thoughts on the white paper. I was sceptical about this entire exercise as I did not know what Anil sir had on his mind. Once every one was done with the writing exercise, Anil sir asked us to share our thoughts with the entire class. By doing this he helped us in relieving us from the humongous weight from our hearts. Slowly, my classmates shared their personal hell with the entire class, which helped us in reducing the intensity of grief.
From this point on the mood of the class had improved considerably. Post break we discussed the ability to control and evaluate emotions known as the concepts of emotional intelligence. Anil sir clearly explained us the importance of active listening with the help of some good examples. From listening skills we slowly moved on to the next topic – empathy and body language. I particularly liked the way he illustrated the concept of empathy with a fine example. He asked for two students from my class to volunteer. Then sir asked them to exchange the shoes that they were wearing. At first, they were baffled but followed the instruction anyway. Immediately we understood what Anil sir was trying to convey with the help of this example. Then he explained us that no one can feel others plight, they can only understand their difficulty. As future leaders we needed this important lesson and with this he let us take a lunch break with food for thought.
The second session after lunch was filled with appreciative inquiry, one of my least favourite topics. However, Anil sir had his way of explaining and involving us in his lecture. To make us understand this concept better, he asked us to choose a partner to try out appreciative inquiry with each other. We followed his instruction and to our surprise unravelled different facets of one another’s character.
Finally the session ended with a discussion of our experiences of the day and we were told to reflect on the learning and meaning of happiness. This is when it dawned upon me, that I was not sad anymore and I was one step closer to Anil sir’s teaching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment