Friday 21 September 2012

Sandeep Balaji_BLP026_Happiness_September 2012

Mr. Bernard Meltzer, American lawyer, said that “Happiness is like a kiss. You must share it to enjoy it.” With this I would like to prod everyone to meditate on this question “Am I really happy?” Definition of happiness of human beings changes with every wrinkle that is added to his/her face. As a small tyke, we are mostly happy because of the fact that we are wrapped in the safety, warmth, and unconditional love of our mother. In my perception, human beings are happiest as a toddler because they do not have any kind of pressure on them.

In the second phase of a human being, we depict happiness as the love that is shown to us in form of gifts and rewards. As kids we crave for petty things and we hate it when we are asked to share our gifts with our brothers and sisters, especially in the case of chocolates. As we grow up and move on to the next phase where we twaddle our way to glory with our friends. As we spread our wings and start socializing, we get acquainted with so many people that the very action of socializing causes us happiness. The same person who hesitated to share a chocolate as a kid transforms into someone who would share anything with his friends. This is the phase where we, as human beings, learn that happiness multiplies exponentially when it is shared with others.

However, this valuable lesson that is imbibed in us so early in our lives is unlearned by us during the constant struggle to make ends meet. This is the most vulnerable phase in a person’s life where he/she is slapped with most horrendous and challenging times. This becomes the reason for us to conjure all the negative vibes. This is the saddest phase of a human’s life, but happiness can be found in the darkest of times. If only we tried a little harder to be selfless and share our sorrows and happiness with dear ones, we would be in a much better place instead of a limbo that we exist in.

So when I ask myself the turbid question – “Am I happy?” the answer that I get is quiet surprising.  Even though I have had a fairly balanced life, I was happiest when I was with my friends and family sharing trivial things. Now when I look back at that time, the smallest thing that I considered to be trivial is not trivial anymore but is invaluable now. I now realize that without the “masala” called happiness in the recipe, life would not be tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment