Friday 21 September 2012

SiddharthaSen_BLP030_Happiness_September2012



Being Happy 

What is happiness? The question when I ask to myself makes me think of a handful of people around me. My mom, dad, sister and friends. I share my joy, sorrow, pain, fear and all other kind of emotions with them. Their absence make me feel a loner while their presence makes me smile, gives me satisfaction, a support, a sense of belonging.

Happiness is fuzzy in nature. It is a state of mind of a person. It varies from person to person and also with situations. A kid may get ecstatic at the end of the day when his father gets him a chocolate. A mother feels blissful when she finds her baby smiling. A grandfather is overjoyed when his grand children spend the entire day with him. The art of happiness has no boundaries and can occur anytime anywhere.

Then what exactly it feels when someone close to you leaves you? The state of equilibrium in which you are, suddenly is disturbed. Our mind acts rationally to make us understand the reality, while heart cries to question the reality, the creator.

Now let us take a step ahead and think for a while. Maslow has wonderfully explained that each individual has a need for existence. At the initial stage he is more into fulfilling his basic needs. But as he climbs up the ladder and tries and finds out the meaning and the purpose of his life, he finally reaches a stage of self actualization when all the other needs become volatile. This state of mind where he realizes his own self gives him the ultimate happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment