Wednesday 31 October 2012

Highs and Lows



The self-leadership session taken by Anil Sir last week focused on a variety of elements that leadership of the brain encompasses. We discussed how a structured approach towards decision making works,  how creativity and innovation depends upon our upbringing and education, how nature and nurture combine to influence our mental capabilities and aptitudes, the ladder of inference and judgement, how to go about our social transformation among much more. We also did a few interesting and energy charged activities in groups and pairs.
Amidst all this, what I took home with me and still think about as I write this today is the introspection exercise we did on our high points and low points through life. Although the purpose of the class exercise was to share these with a partner and learn more about the important moments in our life that have had a great impact on us, the greatest value-add was the self-discovery I made in the process.
 I've been appreciated for my grades and academic scores throughout my life, but none of my high points were due to topping a class or getting a 'role model'.
I like to think of myself as a self-sustaining independent identity with no need for support/dependence on others around me, but all my low points were when my family deserted me or disappointed me.
 I realized how my high impact high points were due to my individual effort and these were moments where I showed a great deal of confidence in myself.This is significant for me because Im generally a shy, nervous, under-confident girl who always ends up holding herself back.
I also realized how my low points were due to the dysfunctional state of my family, and ever since a young age, I wanted nothing more than a perfect family. Although I have grown up to become more independent, brave, and strong, these are memories and wishes that never leave you.  And this has reflected in my values today. As Sir was asking us to come up with our personal mission statement, I quickly realized that financial success, a prolific career, and recognition aren't the things I desire.
All I want to do in life is focus on building a strong family unit and providing support to the people I care about today.


Hence, this exercise was useful in more ways than one. It has not only helped me discovering clashing realities within myself, it's also helped me pave the way I want to live my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment