Sunday 7 October 2012

Shruti Mishra_HRLP013_Self Leadership_Oct2012



Self Leadership lecture taken up by Anil Sir was all about Knowing Who You Are-Emotional Intelligence. I learned that in order to become an inspired leader it is important to know myself.  I was surprised to know that in order to succeed in life emotional intelligence is 100% more important than analytical intelligence.  Emotional Intelligence cannot be inherited and is completely acquired by the environment but it can be changed in a short period of time. 

Thereafter, I learned the art of deep listening.  It is important to respect others by listening to their thoughts. It is very often that biases impact one’s listening which result in distorting the meaning what the speaker intends to mean. Therefore, deep listening is extremely important to understand speaker’s intent. Through the exercise on Alter Ego I learned that it is vital for alter ego to understand and interpret what the speaker means in order for the conversation to go smooth. Tone and expressions play a vital role in interpreting the real meaning of what the speaker expressed.

In later half of the class everyone was asked to write the name of the person who impacted them the most and why and share it with all team members. Through this exercise I learned that commitment towards work and persistence is common among the set of most influential people in our lives and hence are important for a person to reach the goal of his/her life. I also learned about enablers and blocks through this exercise. I also learned that each person has got PAL- Purpose, Agenda and Limits. Subsequently, I learned the five principles that give happiness and joy to any or every human being and they are – honor one’s own gifts, find a cause that gives you joy, leverage your uniqueness and gifts to work on that cause, share the joy with others and enable others to do previous four.

In the last part of the class the essence of community is discussed. To illustrate it teams were asked to discuss on the some unstated emotional expectations that we were not able to meet. During this activity I realized that each person has some pain points and these always hurt us whenever we come across them. I henceforth learned that a sense of belonging can help us in recovering from the pain of not meeting the expectations.

I would like to say that through this class I learned a lot about myself. I also learned the importance of emotional intelligence in one’s life and how deep listening can aid in self leadership.

No comments:

Post a Comment