Thursday 24 May 2012

Shumi_Gamasta_HRLP016_Self Leadership_May2012


“ I believe in a long, prolonged, derangement of the senses in order to obtain the unknown." Jim Morrison

I had read this quote by one of my favourite artists long ago. I thought I understood it well until the other day I really knew what it meant. I knew how 'he' felt when he sat there motionless. I only saw 'his' eyes and 'he' never spoke a word but I got what he must have gone through. I could see the sadness in his eyes. That day I realized that words could just merely spoil an entire experience. I understood that one doesn't necessarily have to be vocal about his feelings. 

Until I only saw the eyes I was  totally involved in the moment and the person  in front of me had my attention and all my focus. I wanted to know his story and I got it. But eventually when gestures and words were used my focus shifted from him, to getting the story right, word by word. That's what the task demanded! I had to know every detail of the story.I did get everything right but in the whole process I stopped relating to him. I stopped seeing 'him' and being in the moment.

Out of this experience, as Jim Morrison said, I did obtain the 'unknown' ( I guess so!). I value all the other senses but the biggest realization was how much can be conveyed just with eyes and no words. Words are used to connect to people but in my case it disconnected me from the person. I could seem to be quite philosophical here but but I'm  glad that I discovered this side of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment